Monday, August 23, 2010

iPhone Apps: EpicWin

This might be the only app that I have wanted before it was even released.  Now that I have it on my phone, I have to admit that I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I did not get it.


The EpicWin app costs $2.99 at the app store, and allows you to level up and gain stats for doing things you would rather not do.  This is a great concept, and has been ever since XKCD came up with it.  When you download it you are asked to choose an avatar and a name.  If you are like me and close the app before getting past this screen, well done you've unlocked the indecisive achievement, and are rewarded with being forced to reinstall the application.

Once past this initial test, and into the app itself, we find a basic to-do list.  Click the pencil to create a task, then type in the details, and assign it an XP value.  Once you complete a task hold down the task to complete it, and gain the XP, loot, and/or levels.  Then swipe your finger across the task to delete it.  Pretty simple.  There is a screen to show your current status and another to show all the loot you found.  You can also set up tweeting to tell people what item you found for doing what.

Pros:
  • Entertaining concept
  • A to-do list can be a powerful organizing force and help you complete your daily tasks.
Cons:
  • Some glaring bugs are present in the current version(1.0), some of which require re-installation of the app to fix.
  • No ability to compare your avatars with your friends.
  • There are many cheaper and easier to use alternatives.
Final Thoughts
After creating a few tasks and completing them, I did not feel a huge urge to continue using the application.  It takes a little to long to write down tasks for my tastes.  Writing my to-do list on paper, or typing it using a real keyboard into Gmail tasks is much more efficient.  It would be better if they had a method to enter tasks into their website which would push them to your phone.  Another feature that would make this better would be to allow you to share a code with friends and family, allowing them to drop tasks onto your queue.  I know a few people who would love to help their significant other level up.

Ultimately, the app does not have that much to it.  I would have like to have seen a way to compare my progress against my friends.  In order to do this though, the experience system might need to be changed, as the honor system it currently uses would be very open to abuse in a competitive atmosphere.

To make a long review short (too late) there are much better ways to spend $2.99.

No comments:

Post a Comment